Annie brings her warm and candid demeanor, experience, and expertise as a speaker and storyteller on teaching, activism, her family history, and Asian American legacy.
Annie is prolific as a writer, speaker, and storyteller, sharing the legacy of her cousin Vincent Chin, Asian American history, and what’s left for us. Annie has been featured by The Moth Radio Hour on NPR, RISK!, Huffington Post, The Try Guys, Rumble with Michael Moore, and PBS’ documentary series Asian Americans. Annie has also been a keynote speaker and presenter with Peloton, New York Life Insurance Company, NBCUniversal, Center for Asian American Media (CAAM), Asian Pacific American Labor Alliance, and other organizations.
Annie is an educator who has taught for over a decade in classrooms. She shares her expertise on special education and English learners, especially as a child of immigrants and a former English learner. Annie has keynoted The Museum of the City of New York Teaching Social Activism Conference and spoken and keynoted at educational institutions and conferences such as New York Asian American Students Conference, Chinese American Museum, Los Angeles (CAMLA), Asian American Womxn in Leadership (AAWIL) Conference, and the National Conference on Race and Ethnicity in Higher Education (NCORE).
Annie has also been an advocate for educators, students, and communities, and Annie’s education advocacy has been featured on NPR’s 1A program, NBC Nightly News, CNN, AJ+, ABC7, PIX11, FOX5NY, Spectrum News NY1, 1010 WINS, The New York Times, The New Republic, The New Yorker, New York Magazine, Jacobin, Chicago Sun-Times, and Edutopia, among other publications.
Annie is currently working on her first book, a memoir.
Selected Speaking Engagements:
- The Try Guys and Eugene Lee Yang: “We Need to Talk About Anti-Asian Hate” (Mar. 24, 2021, 1:10:08)
- The Moth Radio Hour on NPR: “Remembering Vincent” (11:05) as featured on the episode “Squeaky Wheels” (October 2018, 50:58)
- The Moth Radio Hour on NPR: “Drumstick, Please” (7:30) as featured on the episode “Play it Again, SLAM” (July 2020, 50:54)
- Rumble with Michael Moore: “Ep. 175: Michael’s Afternoon with the Killer of Vincent Chin + #STOPASIANHATE with Annie Tan” (Mar. 23, 2021, 1:08:59)
- Reel Asian Film Fest: “Who Killed Vincent Chin? (1987) Documentary Discussion Panel” (May 2021)
- PBS’ “Asian Americans“: “It Reminds Me I Have a Legacy To Live Up To” (YouTube link) (May 12, 2020, 4:10)
- NYCAASC 2020 New York City Asian American Students Conference Keynote Speaker (April 25, 2020, starts 15:10, ends 40:10)
- The China Current: “My Cousin Vincent” (Aug. 14, 2020, 07:02)
- The China Current: “A lot of people left New York’s Chinatown after 9/11” (Oct 2019, 05:16)
- Sunset Park Stories with Betty Yu: “Annie Tan” (Sep 2018, 03:14)